Monday, May 5, 2008

Spicy Black Bean Dip


If you are in a need of a quick dip to take to a party, or serve at your own party, this one is a hit! I used a chipotle pepper in adobo instead of a jalapeno since I had some readily available. The chipotle isn't as hot and I thought that might appeal to more people. It still had a kick and the chipotle added a nice smoky flavor. I think next time I will do it in a smaller dish because the corn layer kind of got lost in all those beans so the presentation wasn't as pretty as it could have been. It was really good though! I also put mine in the oven to melt the cheese.

Spicy Black Bean Dip
Source: Amber's Delectable Delights -my additions/changes in italics

1 can whole kernel corn, drained
4 cloves minced garlic, separated
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
4 oz cream cheese
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeds removed - I used a chipotle in adobo
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
S&P to taste
Cheese for topping - I used a pre-packaged mexican blend

1) Saute' corn and 2 cloves of garlic until the corn is slightly browned. Set aside to cool
2) Add 2 cloves garlic, beans, cream cheese, jalapeno and the seasonings into a food processor and process until smooth.
3) Place 1/2 of bean mixture into bottom of serving dish, then 1/2 the corn; repeat with remaining beans and corn. Top with cheese, if desired. Serve with tortilla chips.

1 comment:

That Girl said...

I love this dip!