Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A First Time for Everything

Tonight I prepared lamb for the first time. I've eaten it on several occasions and really enjoyed it, but to be honest it has always scared me a little when it comes to making it at home. I was never really sure what to do with it, plus it is usually pretty expensive. Well, one of my local grocery stores happened to put shoulder blade lamb chops on sale last weekend, so I went on a search for a recipe. I knew I wanted to grill the chops since it's summer and lets just be honest, I really love the grill.

I never found a recipe that struck my fancy, so I decided to just wing it. I ended up making my own Asian marinade and letting it soak all day while I was at work. I LOVED the marinade. It turned out perfectly. I also reduced it to make a glaze for the chops after they came in off the grill.

The only complaint I have is that I think I would have preferred the smaller chops you usually think of when you think lamb chops. These had a fair amount of fat on them and were marbled through out. I am repulsed by fat so it takes quite a while for me to cut the meat off the bone and inspect it for residual fat on the edges. That being said, the meat was fantastic and if they go on sale again it's fair to say I'll be purchasing them. Taylor has only had lamb one other time and he didn't really remember what it tasted like. I think he enjoyed it since I caught him gnawing on the bone when he thought I wasn't looking. Yes, people actually do that in the south. I, however, am not one of those people!

We had roasted potatoes tossed with toasted sesame oil and McCormick's Mediterranean Sea Salt Blend as our side. They went great with the lamb and are super easy. Wash and slice the potatoes, toss with oil and spices and stick in a 450 degree oven for about 20 minutes.


Asian Style Lamb Chops
Source: Me

4 shoulder blade lamb chops
1 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp minced ginger
2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
2 tbsp red pepper flakes
2-3 cloves minced garlic
1 tbsp sugar
salt and pepper, to taste

Combine all marinade ingredients in a freezer bag and add the chops. Marinade all day (mine were in the marinade about 10 hours) or a minimum of 2 hours. The longer they soak the more flavor they will absorb. Grill chops about 4-5 minutes (per side) on high heat depending on the thickness of your chops.

Put the marinade in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer until it thickens and makes a syrupy sauce (the glaze). When the chops come off the grill baste with glaze.

2 comments:

That Girl said...

You might like rack of lamb. If you have the butcher french it for you, it's a lot less full o fat.

Nicole said...

Wow! You are brave. I haven't tried cooking lamb yet. It is funny that we find it intimidating. I will have to do so and have company. I am sure my husband wouldn't eat it.