Friday, May 23, 2008

Friday Night Dinner

All day I thought about what I wanted for dinner tonight. I knew it would just be me since Taylor had to work late. I also knew it needed to be chicken because we already had some in the fridge defrosted. And can I just say I LOVE chicken cutlets? They are really the perfect size and cook up so quickly. If you can't get cutlets, or the regular breasts are on sale, you can slice them in half to make your own.


Chicken and potatoes seemed an easy choice. It turned out perfectly and really hit the spot. Actually I am sitting here considering going back for seconds, even thought I know I will be stuffed and miserable. It might just be worth it. ;)



Smoky Chipotle Grilled Chicken
Source: Me

4 chicken breast cutlets
2 chipotles in adobo, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp lime juice
1 drop liquid smoke
couple pinches sea salt

Combine all ingredients in a large ziploc bag and marinate for 45 minutes. Get the chicken on the grill and put the marinade in a sauce pan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil and let boil about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and let simmer until the chicken comes off the grill. This doesn't really make a glaze. It turned out more like a sauce, and wasn't really pretty in the pan, but it tasted (and looked) great on the chicken! When chicken comes off the grill, top with a little of the sauce.


Fried Potatoes
Source: Any good southern girl knows how to make these :)

2 slightly under-baked potatoes (I use the Idaho variety and "bake" them in the microwave. It takes about1-2 minutes per potato depending on the size)
1 shallot, minced (traditionally you would use white or vidalia onion, but I've been in a shallot mood)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
salt and pepper to taste

Add the oil and butter to a skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and let cook until translucent.

Cut the potatoes in half...





and then cut them into wedges.







Add them to the pan in a single layer and let them hang out. Don't stir them around, just let them crisp up.






Once they have browned on that side turn them over and let them brown on the other side. Add your salt and pepper to taste.



Ok, yeah, I'm going back for seconds...

1 comment:

That Girl said...

I'm going to have to try those potatoes