Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Playing with Fire

I love the flavor of grilled food. And I don’t mean on a charcoal grill. I’m talking about a big propane gas grill. Even with the price of gas these days I can’t switch over to charcoal. I just don’t like how the edges of everything get all charred and taste burnt to me. I guess it is because I grew up with a gas grill and it is just what I am used to. My husband on the other hand grew up with charcoal and thinks it isn’t REAL grilling unless you pour a ton of lighter fluid on those little charcoal briquettes and have a flame that soars to high heaven. I really think he just likes playing with fire and it’s not so much about the flavor, especially since he usually praises my grilling skills on our gas grill. Actually, I know this is true because he loves anything that has to do with him creating fire. It must be a man thing. And to think, I am bringing another one into the world. It makes me shudder to think of the things my husband is going to want to teach our son. ;)


Grilled pork chops were on the menu this week and I’ve been wanting to use chipotles in adobo for quite some time. I thought the two would pair nicely and went off to find some inspiration. I saw a recipe for Garlic Roasted Pork Loin with Raspberry Chipotle Glaze from Emeril on the food network website. I am not a fan of raspberries but decided to look over the recipe anyway. I basically just used his recipe as a jumping off point, but you can find the original here. My glaze really added another layer of flavor to the chops. I did not particularly like the cut of chops we had because it was too fatty to me, but the variety pack was what was on sale, so there you go.

The grocery store also had ears of sweet corn on sale again, so I grilled some to go with the chops. This time I grilled them without the husks and basted them with Mediterranean Sea Salt butter every time I turned them. I had a coupon for McCormick's Mediterranean Spice Sea Salt and decided to try it out on the corn. I am in love with this stuff! I can't wait to use it on potatoes. :)

Grilled Garlic Pork Chops with a Chipotle Glaze
Source: Me

2 bone-in pork chops
2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
1 tbsp olive oil
adobo sauce, from the chipotles
salt & pepper, to taste


Make small slits on both sides of the pork chops and place a slice of garlic in each one. Brush both sides of chops with olive oil and some of the adobo sauce and season with salt and pepper. Grill until done.


1 tbsp olive oil
1 shallot, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt


In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring, until soft and slightly caramelized, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic to the pan and saute for 1 minute. Add the chipotles and cook, stirring continuously, for 1 minute. Add the vinegar and stir to deglaze the pan. Add the sugar and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until thickened and reduced by half, 8 to 10 minutes. Top chops with glaze and allow to rest about 10 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

That Girl said...

I grew up with a charcoal griller, so the thought of gas grills scare the bejeesies out of me. I have an irrational fear of them exploding chernobyl style.