Friday, April 11, 2008

On top of Spaghetti...


Are gouda stuffed meatballs!! YUM! Well, they were on top of my spaghetti. This is yet another dish where Taylor and I differ on the best way to serve it. He prefers meat sauce instead of meatballs. I of course prefer meatballs. So tonight, we each had it our way.

I found a recipe for mozzarella stuffed meatballs in Rachel Ray's magazine and they looked so good. I didn't have any mozzarella, so I used gouda. (I know I've been using it a lot lately, but there is a big hunk of it in my fridge and I need to use it up. Plus, I just LOVE it!)

Gouda Stuffed Meatballs
Source: Adapted from Rachel Ray's Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs

1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
1/2 cup milk (or water)
1 lb. lean ground sirloin
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 large egg
1 tsp salt
4 ounces gouda, cut into about 20 (1/2 inch) cubes

In a medium bowl, soak the breadcrumbs in milk. Add the beef, chopped garlic, parsley, parmesan cheese, egg and salt to the soaked bread crumbs and stir with a fork until combined. Place about 2 tablespoons of the mixture in your hand and press a gouda cube into the center. Shape the meat around the cheese, forming a ball. Repeat with the remaining meat and gouda.

Submerge meatballs in whatever sauce you are using. Bring sauce to a simmer and let cook for 20 minutes without stirring.

2 comments:

deLa said...

jaime you are my hero

Elizabeth said...

I love those meatballs - why did I never think of Gouda?