Saturday, March 22, 2008

To Die for (or not) Saturday Night Dinner

My in-laws gave us a beef roast that I tossed in the freezer a few weeks ago and this weekend seemed like the perfect time to pull it out. I am not a huge roast fan mostly because I've never had one with a lot of flavor. I searched the internet for a new pot roast recipe and came across To Die for Crock Pot Roast. I love using the crock pot because you don't have to babysit your dish. You just prep it, throw it in and it cooks itself. Perfect for a Saturday when I have a million things to do.

It was ok. I wouldn't say it was "to die for." I ended up adding a little worcestershire sauce to mine and it was a decent dinner. I think it all comes down to my general dislike of the flavor of roast meat. Taylor liked it though. Anyway, my additions/changes to the recipe are in italics.

To Die for Crock Pot Roast
Source: Recipezaar.com

1 beef roast, any kind
1 package dried brown gravy mix
1 package dried Italian salad dressing mix
1 package dried ranch dressing mix
1/2 cup water -I added a little more
6 medium red potatoes, quartered - you could add any veggies you want.

Mix together dried mixes in a bowl and use as a rub on the roast. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours. You will have some of the dry mix left depending on the size of your roast.

Place potatoes in the bottom of the crock pot. Place beef on top of the potatoes. Sprinkle the left over spice mixture around and over the roast. Pour water around the roast. Cook on low 7-9 hours.



To go with the pot roast, I made a copy cat recipe of Jim N Nicks cheese muffins. My husband and I always order a basket of these when we frequent the restaurant so I decided to give this recipe a try. The recipe comes from my friend Dela's blog, Not Your Mama's Southern Cooking. She has a great blog, you should check it out! These turned out great!! The recipe was really simple and they taste just like the "real thing."

Jim N Nicks Cheese Muffins

Source: Not Your Mama's Southern Cooking

1 1/2 cups self rising flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
4 tbsp butter, melter
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix ingredients together and pour into greased muffin pan. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until done.

1 comment:

deLa said...

how funny is it that i cooked a pot roast saturday night, also!! must be something in the water! mine was actually pretty good! youll have to try out the recipe.