Friday, March 21, 2008

A new spin on cereal for dinner


I have been craving a snack/dessert from my childhood the last few days and tonight I couldn't wait any longer. Cornflake Clusters were a staple at my house growing up. I'm not sure where the recipe originated, but it was one of the first recipes I learned from my mom. I came home and immediately started cooking. Thank goodness these only take about 10 minutes!

Cornflake Clusters
Source: My Mom

1 cup yellow label syrup (you can use any light colored syrup that you have on hand)
1 cup sugar
1 cup peanut butter
6 cups cornflakes
wax paper

Before beginning set out a large sheet of wax paper.

Place a medium/large sauce pan on over medium heat and add the sugar and syrup. Cook until liquid comes to a light boil, stirring the entire time. Once it begins to boil, cook for an additional one minute. The sugar should be completely dissolved and the liquid should look clear when running off your spoon. Remove from heat and add the peanut butter stirring until smooth. Add the cornflakes a few cups at a time incorporating them into the peanut butter mixture.

Drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto the wax paper and let cool.




The best part is eating a nice warm bowlful. I get fuller faster these days, so it just happened to become dinner tonight. Yeah, I know it isn't even remotely healthy, but it was worth it! (For those wondering about my poor husband, he had leftovers) ;)

No comments: