Sunday, June 1, 2008

"I'm not eating that."

That is what my husband said when I told him we were having roasted cauliflower with our steaks. He doesn't like cauliflower (in any way, shape or form according to him) and he just flat out wasn't eating it. I love raw cauliflower, but am usually not a fan of the cooked stuff. However, I've seen more than one blog post about how wonderful roasted cauliflower is and I am always looking for new side dishes that don't include corn or potatoes since those are my default sides. I begged him to just taste it and promised I would make him another option in case he was right and didn't like it.


Well, he didn't like it and I wasn't a huge fan either. I think I just don't like mushy cauliflower. When it is cooked, it loses it's bite and the crunch is the best part. I did however like it before I roasted it. Ha! I tasted a few pieces befor putting it in the oven and it was really good. I could have eaten the whole pan just like that as a snack. Maybe next time I'll just do that! It has a good flavor though, so if you liked cooked cauliflower, give it a try.




Oven-Roasted Cauliflower with Garlic, Olive Oil and Lemon Juice

Source: The Recipe Girl My additions/changes in italics

6 cups cauliflower florets (I just used a whole head)


2 tbsp olive oil


1 tbsp sliced garlic (I minced mine)


2 tbsp lemon juice


1 tsp kosher salt (I used sea salt)


1/2 tsp ground black pepper


2 tbsp parmesan cheese


chopped chives, for garnish (I used some dill I had instead)


Preheat oven to 500 degrees.




Place the cauliflower in a roasting pan (I used a rimmed baking sheet). Drizzle with olive oil and season with garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Toss to coat cauliflower. Place in oven and cook 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.




Remove from oven and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and garnish with chives. Serve while warm.

2 comments:

That Girl said...

I would have said the same thing as your husband

AMI said...

my favorite comfort food is pasta with cauliflower(if you're interested the recipe is on my blog under Pasta)! it really hits the spot. funnily i've never eaten cauliflower raw! i must try it!