Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Me and Salad? Not the Best of Friends

I'm not a big salad eater. Well, I should say, I don't eat salad at all. The whole not liking lettuce thing (or really any veggies) kind of gets in the way of us having a relationship. I do however like salads of the non-lettuce variety, but even those I'm pretty picky about. I like chicken salad, but no celery and no fruit in it please. I like potato salad, but not with a mustard base. I know...why not just leave all salads alone and let those who enjoy them have them? I just can't. I like the basic concept of the salads, but I like to add different things or omit certain ingredients. And sometimes I come across a recipe that just looks good, even if it has the word "salad" in it. And Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad has all things I love in it! I figured I couldn't go wrong.

I made this to take to a Sunday school class social, where we just happened to be watching to Auburn/LSU game. Yeah, Auburn lost but the pasta salad turned out great! Next time, I think I will omit the chicken though. It didn't seem to add that much to the dish in my opinion and would take some time out of the preparation. My additions/omissions are in italics.

Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Salad
(Source: Amber's Delectable Delights)

Ingredients:
2 cups dry shell pasta (I used macaroni)
1/4 cup julienne carrots (I omitted these)
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1 pckt (or 3 tbls) dry ranch dressing mix
4 strips bacon (cooked and crumbled) (I used 6 strips... I love bacon!)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups chicken (cut into bite size pieces; cooked and cooled)

Directions:
1) Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add in pasta, wait a few minutes then add in carrots and cook until pasta is al dente. Drain pasta into strainer and rinse with cold water. Shake until well drained. Set aside.
2) In medium sized bowl mix the mayonnaise, ranch dressing mix, bacon and onion powder. Add in the cooled pasta and carrots, chicken and cheese. Mix until everything is covered with mayonnaise mixture. Chill and serve.

*(If you feel that there is not enough mayonnaise to cover all the ingredients just add in a tablespoon or so more until it covers everything well). (I did add in another tablespoon and that made it perfect!)

1 comment:

deLa said...

wow!!! this has all my favorites too! chopped up pepperoni might be good instead of chicken. hmmm....